The Senior Agenda Coalition of Rhode Island
Proudly Presents Our Tenth Annual
STATEWIDE SENIOR CONFERENCE & EXPO
Building Senior Power
will be the major theme of the event with two morning plenary sessions on the topic.
Crowne Plaza Hotel Grand Ballroom, Warwick, RI
Friday, October 20, 2017
9 AM to 3:PM
(Breakfast and lunch included)
founder and President of the
Latino Leadership Institute.
Captioning will be provided for the deaf and hard-of-hearing.
Six afternoon workshops will include:
- Setting the 2018 Agenda for Seniors: A town hall open community discussion of legislation and programs that we should fight for in the coming year. We want to hear from everyone as we set our priorities to promote aging in the community.
- Introduction to Tai Chi: Learn more about this ancient Chinese tradition that is said to relieve stress, improve overall strength and balance, and prevent fractures.
- The RI AARP Driver Training Program: This overview will cover many important tools for older drivers including how to reduce driver distractions and deal with aggressive drivers, and techniques for handling left turns, rights-of-way and roundabouts.
Plus 30 Exhibitor Tables featuring a wide range of services and programs for older Rhode Islanders.
- Setting our 2018 Agenda: An Interactive Session.
- Senior Agenda Coalition Executive Director Bill Flynn will lead a “town meeting” discussion about what items should be on our legislative agenda for the 2018 RI General Assembly session, and how they should be prioritized. We will also discuss priority questions for the Senior Agenda’s Gubernatorial Candidates Forum. Activists and concerned groups will share their ideas and discuss them.
- Introduction to Tai Chi:
- Learn more about this ancient Chinese tradition that is said to relieve stress, improve overall strength and balance, and prevent fractures. Instructor Phil Goldman will lead an easy exploration of the classical Yang style of Tai Chi to bring balance, harmony and alignment to the mind, body and spirit. Beautiful to perform and fun to learn! Phil has over 20 years of experience in leading groups in Tai Chi Chuan and Qi Gong for whole body health
- The RI AARP Driver Training Program:
- This overview will cover many important tools for older drivers including how to reduce driver distractions and deal with aggressive drivers, provide proper understanding and use of new technology, and supply techniques for handling left turns, rights-of-way and roundabouts. He will also discuss how best to help families make the decision to give up driving. Instructor Gerry Levesque is the RI State Coordinator for the AARP/Driver Training Program.
- You Can Do This!
- Harnessing the Power of the Internet: For anyone who would like to use technology to e-mail friends and family, borrow library books, look for home services or vacation possibilities, this workshop is for you! See demonstrations of Internet basics as well as easy techniques and shortcuts for “surfing the Web.” Presenter Craig Baker is Executive Director of SER-Jobs for Progress and a Senior Agenda Coalition board member.
- Supporting Caregivers for Persons with Dementia:
- Doreen C. Putnam, an educator, consultant and support group moderator will present and discuss topics such as Coping with Caregiver ‘Brain Fog,’ 10 Positive Steps for Communicating with Someone with Dementia, and The 5 Stages of Parkinson’s Disease. This workshop is a must for current and future caregivers.
- Spiritual Gifts of Aging:
- Reverend Kathryn Palen, Associate Executive Minister for Eldercare Ministries at American Baptist Churches of Rhode Island, will present and lead a discussion about the numerous opportunities for spiritual growth amidst the challenges of aging